[ Aller au nouveau Forum]

Contre exemple

[ chronomania.net - Les archives de l'ancien forum ]

écrit par Boris le 13. Août 2004 18:02:54:

en réponse à: Tu veux dire "plus jolie" écrit par Jeff le 13. Août 2004 16:25:11:

Personellement, je n'ai jamais eu de probleme avec les boucles Rolex, meme si je les trouve tres cheap.

Maintenant, ca peux arriver a d'autres, la preuve ce message poste par YurRomeo1 sur le forum Rolex de TZ. OK, c'est un peu extreme, et il est peu probable que d'autres bracelets s'en soient mieux tires. Mais ca porte un peu un coup au mythe "pas beau mais super fonctionnel et solide" desdits fermoirs. Sur ce que j'en comprend, c'est un officier d'active de l'armee US.

"In keeping up with the Air Forces Ops Tempo we now have more field exercises than ever.

Friday afternoon right before we left work we had a meeting with our commanding officer. After a big speech of how we need to be ready to fight he told us that as of that moment we where on General Order No. 1, which states that we have to remain sober and ready to report to duty within one hour of being recalled. He told us not to expect to be called on Friday night but to be ready Saturday.

Naturally, we took advantage of the little intel we had and went out and had a good time Friday because we knew what we had coming Saturday and Sunday.

Friday night came and went without incident… Then, Saturday afternoon around 1800 my phone rang. I was tempted not to pick it up but I knew I had to… Just like I thought… We were being recalled. So I rushed to get dressed and get to work and like always, I was the first one there… It wasn’t long before everyone else showed up and we were briefed on the current events.

As luck would have it, this was a crazy off the wall exercise (we get a new commander and all of a sudden he thinks he’s Superman). One of our remote sites had been taken over by terrorists and we were going in to recapture it and commence operations for repair of the airfield. The catch… We had to come in through the beach.
No problem I though, although I was a bit disgusted by the thought of getting in that water since it just looks really dirty.

We start getting suited up and I was kind of excited that I was going to get to use the diver’s extension on the band… For some reason I didn’t feel too comfortable about wearing it just like that so I used a little piece of 550 cord to tie the watch band to my wrist… Just incase.

By now it’s almost 2130 hrs and we are finally ready to go. We go ahead and jump onto our really cool little boast and head over to the drop off site.

By this time I was already having a hard time reading the time on my watch since the luminescence was almost completely gone and it started to worry me that pretty soon I would no longer be able to see it without turning on some sort of light.

The waves were really big that night and we had some very strong rip currents but we went ahead anyways and jumped off to make our way to the beach to secure the site.

It was actually my first time getting in the water here and as luck would have it I got crushed by the first big wave just as I was reaching some shallow water… As I was just coming up from that one I see another big one came and this one just slammed me. It sent me tumbling down the shore and I hit the rocky ocean floor face first splitting my bottom lip! I finally get up and start feeling to see how bad my lip was, and just then I notice something… My Rolex is hanging from my wrist by the 550 cord! Talk about feeling like the world just came crashing down on you! I nearly went nuts! I knew I had to get out of the water so I just put the watch in my hand and held on to it while I made my way to the land. Once I got there I just cut the cord and put the watch in one of the many pockets we have and kept going…

The rest of the exercise went without incident and we were done around 0400 Sunday morning. Luckily I only cut the inside of my lip with my teeth and its no big deal, but not it looks as if I have the whole bottom row of teeth drawn on the outside of my jaw since it all turned purple. LOL…

But now back to the real issue. What happened to the watch? Why did I almost loose it? It seems that when I was rolling around the rocks, I must have hit the clasp against something hard and that made it give in just enough for the pin holding divers extension link to come loose. So it was as if the bracelet had broken in half. I am very glad I had tied it with that piece of cord or I would probably still be out there looking for it.

That Sunday afternoon I went over to the dealer I bought the watch from to see what they could do for me, and after explaining what had happened (very hard since I don’t speak Japanese and they barely speak English) they offered to fix the bracelet for free. I am guessing they are going to replace any damaged parts and buff out all scratches but I am not sure…

In the end if I had to do it all over again I would not have worn my Submariner with me Saturday night for several reasons…

1. Very poor luminescence after just a few hours… I could not see the hands at all by 2200 without the use of some light.

2. Diver’s Extension / Clasp Failure. The weakest link in all Rolex Sport Watches.

3. While the watch case came out without any scratches whatsoever, the caseback and band where heavily scratched.

I also realized that for my ‘Duty Watch’ I need one with more functions. I am thinking I need a chronograph and maybe a date display… GMT wouldn’t hurt either. It has to be water proof to 300m, have a diver’s extension, and sapphire crystal. Any ideas? I saw this cool Omega that I really like on the Omega forum, what do you guys think? Seamaster
300M

I must have to say that I was very impressed with the level of customer service from the Rolex dealer. Even with the language barrier they offered to fix the problem without charging me a penny. I was expecting them to say that this was abuse of the watch and I was ready to pay for any repairs. So the fact that it was free made me very happy.

Also since I am going to be without a bracelet for a while I went ahead and picked up a leather band from the Base Exchange to wear with the Sub for now and I must say I REALLY REALLY like the look of the watch on the strap! Something about it makes it look very nice… What do you think?

All in all I am still happy with Rolex, but I just don’t think the band was made for too much abuse… BTW, a Bond Style NATO strap is already on the way…"

Amities
Boris

>parce qu'au niveau qualité, je n'ai jamais entendu quelqu'un dire qu'il a perdu sa Rolex a cause de la boucle pourrie !
>Les déployantes Rolex ne m'ont jamais posé de problème, alors que celles de ma Breguet et de mon Audemars se sont ouvertes plusieurs fois.
>C'est vrai que la boucle en photo est jolie, mais je trouve que celle de la 16520 est déjà pas mal du tout.
>PS pour Baden: qu'est ce qui ne te plait pas dans la 116520, c'est les anses polies, les gros indexes ou les compteurs excentrés ?

Réponses:

[ chronomania.net - Les archives de l'ancien forum ]